Saturday, January 12, 2013

Bookmarks LXII: Purrquoise

I apologize for the punny title. It's just... there's turquoise. And purring. "Purrquoise" just seemed to fit.

Sometimes I reach a beautiful understanding with the craft knife/ruler team, and produce long, skinny, straight strips of paper. Sometimes just as scraps. Well, I couldn't bear to just throw them away, so I hoarded them for a bit and then stuck them on a bigger black strip of paper.

And while that was elegant, I wanted a little bit more. I shuffled through my newer stamps and picked out this adorable little cat -- made cuter by the purring text inside.

Because I was stamping on black, I knew I'd need to emboss for anything to show up. I was worried about the text, though -- would it still be readable after embossing? So I did several trial runs. I liked this one so well I decided it was unlikely I'd do better -- so I just cut it out and used it.

The bookmark still seemed a bit unfinished. So I went fishing in DCWV's "All Dressed Up" matstack, which has some really lovely teal and turquoise papers at the back -- hidden behind all the black and red and pink. They're pretty much what convinced me to buy the stack, actually. And lo and behold, one of them matched my turquoise scrap almost perfectly! I cut it in half and used it to back the bookmark -- thus allowing me to keep the hanging-off bits of scrap strips, stiffen the bookmark, and add a little to its design all at once.

I'm entering this bookmark in the following challenges:

Supplies: (tape is from Recollections/Michaels)

6 comments:

  1. Love it! Great colors on this and you're right..that kitten is just the cutest! ;)
    Thanks for joining our cute as a button challenge at Crafty Corners this week and hope to see you again.
    Tammy DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. I love that you turned a few scraps into a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely card! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge! xx Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup a kitty is cute as a button ;)...thanks for joining us at Creative Corner Challenges
    Love Mel DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bookmark! Thanks for playing at Paper Playtime! :) Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!
    Thanks for joining us at the Fairy Tale Challengeblog! Andrea :-)

    ReplyDelete