Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bookmarks XXIV: Cut and Paste

The irony of the thing is that I can't really make something with a "Cut and Paste" stamp without doing more than cutting and pasting -- i.e., stamping. Perhaps it would make more sense as a die? Or perhaps someday a "Stamp and Emboss" will show up.

I pulled out this "Cut and Paste" sentiment stamp to use as a focal point, inspired by this week's Sweet Stampin' challenge.

I bought this stamp on a trip to the store to get some fall-themed stamps for a different project. You may have noticed that a stamp reading "Cut and Paste" is not terribly autumnal, but I was rummaging through the dollar stamp bin looking for leaf stamps, and there it was. I don't know about you, but I do quite a lot of cutting and pasting, and I'm not terribly sure how any papercrafter could really have refused to take it home. I certainly didn't.

Let me get back to the point, which is bookmarks.

For these bookmarks, I'm using the colors from this week's challenge at The Play Date Cafe. (I'm starting to wonder if all color challenges must include orange. Is there a secret rule somewhere?)

As always, I had fun picking out ink colors to match the challenge. I even used the purple and the green on the actual bookmarks -- you can't tell in the final photograph, but I promise there is real color underneath the sparkly embossing powder.

I chose a tan-ish neutral cardstock as a base and matted it on some pretty paper from DCWV's Pocket Full of Posies mat stack. This paper fits the colors of the challenge beautifully, but it also has a significant amount of pink, so I wanted to keep it mostly out of the way.

It turns out that one half of a 12" x 2" strip fits perfectly on one half of a 6.5" x 4.5" mat, and then the other halves sit there and demand to be a bookmark too. So I made a pair.

I used the same sketch for both bookmarks, from this week's Sunday Sketch & Stamp challenge, but I used it in two different orientations. It turned out to be pretty easily adaptable to the long skinny shape of my bookmarks, which was pleasant.

I had a bit of trouble figuring out what to use for the embellishment part of the sketch, but eventually realized that I could just hand-cut-out versions of the shapes that appear on the stamp and use those. My attempts at a little garland of people were just slightly less than totally successful, so I settled on hearts. I can do hearts. Especially hearts that should really look a little lopsided and not completely rounded, so that they echo the hearts on the stamp. I'm really good at those.

See?

I think these would make great bookmarks for a favorite papercrafting book. I don't actually own any papercrafting books that are not origami books, though, and "Cut and Paste" is not really a sentiment that fits in an origami book! I'd need a "Fold and Score" for that. So I'll just stick 'em in the next book that needs a bookmark.

I'm entering this pair of bookmarks into the following challenges:

Supplies:

6 comments:

  1. what a sweet bookmarks. I just love the small hearts and the sentiments.

    Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week.

    Love Mickaela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bookmark, thank you for showing us over at Sweet Stampin'.
    Debbiex

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect book marks! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute bookmarks - I love the embossing! So glad you could join us at PDCC this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute!!!!Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week with your great bookmarks.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete